Wednesday, April 24, 2013

"The Society of St. Julian"

How does that grab you as the namesake and patron for our new lay religious society?

I'd wanted to be a bit more "ecumenical" - that is to say, to avoid a specifically English slant on the thing.  But then, if I'd chosen St. Francis it would be an Italian slant.  If St. John of the Cross (definitely another possibility) it would be a Spanish slant.

So one way or another, we're going to have to deal with geographyPerhaps The Society of St. John and St. Julian?  That way we mix it up a bit - and "reform" comes into the mix, too.

I really have to finish Revelations of Divine Love, though!  It's actually a little bit embarrassing that here I am proposing to name a society after her - and I haven't even read all the way through her only work.  I'm in the middle of reading it now - but I have read a lot of St. John, so I've at least got that going for me. 

Full Homely Divinity uses St. Julian as an unofficial patron - and our old friend The Postulant has written liturgies based on her writings.  I'm pretty sure that's good enough for me.

What about you?  I do hate to leave St. Francis out of it, but some guy already went there this year, so maybe that's enough....

No comments: